You Have What You Need…

The poem Invictus by W. E. Henley is a well-known and often cited work because of its last two lines: I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

A central theme of the poem is the notion of choice and self-responsibility over one’s life path. Therefore, this poem was an important piece of the curriculum during my work as a counselor for the Prep for Prep program (https://www.prepforprep.org). Prep is a program created to provide at-risk minority youth with opportunities for acceptance into and completion of studies at various prestigious institutions, of higher education, throughout the country. The curriculum developers understood that in order to “beat the odds”, these students would need to be intellectually and emotionally strong!

Although, it has been several years since I have worked with the Prep for Prep organization, the Invictus poem has never left my memory, particularly the first two lines which read:

Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole. I thank whatever Gods may be for my unconquerable soul.

An unconquerable soul… an unconquerable soul… that means – no matter the circumstance, no matter the obstacle, no matter the challenge – that soul cannot be defeated.

These first two lines resonate with me because no longer are they merely two abstract sentences from a poem. Instead, they now describe a journey that I can personally identify with… you see I have had to face many difficult and downright overwhelming circumstances. Yet, here I still stand. Unconquerable, not defeated, unstoppable.

In the book, the Untethered Soul, Michael Singer explains that “through the ongoing journey of self-realization, you will develop a tremendous sense of respect for who you really are.” This discovery of self-respect and self-appreciation came as a result of realizing just how capable and strong I could be, in the midst of adversity. I wasn’t strong because I avoided trials and mistakes – instead I was strong because I challenged, faced, and overcame the trials – head on.

However, I will admit there were many days that I thought about quitting, but in each of those moments I found the resolve to keep going because of my renewed faith in the power of God. Psalm 138:3 states that “in the day when I cried thou answerdst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in soul”. In other words, when we cry out for help, God will answer; so cry out I did! And guess what I discovered… not only would God accompany me for the journey – but I was already equipped with EVERYTHING I needed to endure, to survive, to recover, and to thrive. How could I already have all that I would need?

Glenda the Good Witch, from the Wizard of Oz, would explain it this way: “You’ve always had the power, my dear. You’ve had it all along”

Michael Singer, in the Untethered Soul, would explain it this way: “once refocused, you will realize that you not only have the ability to find yourself, you have the ability to free yourself.”

Either way – the answer was still the same… we are each equipped to be strong, we just need to be reminded of it from time to time.

20 thoughts on “You Have What You Need…

1. Uretta says:

Your words are so true. God is so amazing. He doesn’t give us more than we can bare. That’s why I also love the song by Yolanda Adams “This Joy”.

2. myitiltemplates.Com says:

Thаnkѕ for the marvelous posting! Itrul enjoyed reading it, you mіght bе a great author.I will alwayѕ bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later
    on. I want to encourage you to ultimately
    cotinue your grеat job, have a nice day!

• docdonna6 says:

Hello Heike. Thank you for visiting and commenting on my post. I LOVE psychology! So I try to share my love for the field coupled with my professional and personal experiences. Hope you’ll visit again. If you select ‘follow the blog’ you will receive an email alert when I post a new entry.

3. Mahalia says:

Great website you have here but I was wondering if you
    knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article?

I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get advice from other knowledgeable individuals that share the
    same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    Bless you!

• docdonna6 says:

Hello Mahalia, thank you for visiting and stopping by! Hope you will read again. Two useful resources are the Psychology Today website and American Psychological Association. Take a look, as one or both of them may provide an interactive community forum.

4. luxury womens watch says:

Definitely believe that that you said. Your
    favourite justification appeared to be at the internet the easiest factor
    to take note of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while folks think about worries that they just don’t
    understand about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as neatly as defined out the whole
    thing with no need side-effects , folks can take a
    signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thanks

5. Jonna says:

http://0daymusic.org/premium.php Private FTP Server 0day Music, No
    Deleted Tracks, Download mp3 tracks, Downloads are made through our private server simple use
    of FTP program,
    Minimal-House, Minimal-Techno, Progressive-House, Tech-House,
    Techno DJ Charts, DJ Mixes Exclusive Section Access Promo Section Access

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both
    educative and engaging, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail
    on the head. The problem is something which not enough people are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy I found this in my search for something concerning this.

6. binäre optionen says:

Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of
    volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.

Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on. You have done
    a wonderful job!

7. günstig fifa coins kaufen says:

Hello theгe, just becamе alert to your blog
    through Google, and found that it’s trulƴ informative. I’m
    going to watch out fоr brussels. ӏ will ƅe grateful if
    yоu continue this in future. Μany people will bе benefited from
    yoսr writing. Cheers!